Jarod James

Jarod James

Saturday, May 7, 2011

A partial update..... So much to update not enough time!

I wrote this in the morning of the day my Soldier, Hero, and Best Friend came home.

Sitting here staring at the clock… Counting down the minutes until I can wake up the kids and get them dressed for an exciting day. Today is the day we can finally be a family in the same household again. No more carrying around a cellphone every waking moment or setting it on the shower ledge to avoid missing that morning phone call. It’s a brand new chapter in our crazy and adventurous life.

20 months ago I had no idea where I would be today or what life would be like. Honestly I thought we would be in Colorado and that was about as far as I had gotten. I moved to Colorado for the sole reason that we were hoping to get stationed there again, but we changed our minds. It wasn’t a failure though; I went to college there and became a Dental Assistant and met some of the best friends you could ever ask for or need. After I graduated I realized that I needed and wanted to be closer to my family; plus I was pregnant with Baby J and needed to have a support system around.

I called my brother and asked if he wanted to be my room-mate for a year and we found a house together. He was the best room-mate you could ask for except that he thinks dishes and silverware are disposable instead of washing them! I was never scared though knowing that my 6’5” brother was in the first room that the boogey monsters would encounter! My girls loved him and it gave them the interaction with someone besides me all day every day. My parents were only a few hours away and visited more times than I can count. My mom and dad were two of my biggest support system through everything.

My mom must have visited two to three times a month. She cooked us real food instead of McDonalds…. I might have been on a cooking strike these last 20 months. I hope I still remember how to cook! The girls sure love their Oma and miss her lots! She is probably our biggest fan…..

I can’t forget my Aunt, Cleana… Actually she is my great-aunt. Everyone thinks she is my Grandma. Which is fine, I don’t mind having an extra Grandma figure. She made this journey to Washington with me and has helped us in endless amounts of ways. She is a very special lady.

So I’ll skip ahead a little bit to this journey to Washington State….. 1200 miles in a car with three children three and under; sounds crazy right? Actually they did amazing! They watched a zillion movies, ate a ridiculous amount of HEALTHY snacks, and we all laughed a whole bunch.  A few hotels and then the keys to what we call home now. I couldn’t be happier in our new home. It is a perfect fit!

The girls and I have been taking nightly walks around the neighborhood and we have met several of our neighbors. Everyone has been very nice; but one has a unique connection with us. As I was backing out of the driveway one day I noticed out of the corner of my eye a mother pushing a stroller with two little boys. The boy in the back appeared to have Down syndrome but I convinced myself that there was absolutely no way possible that there would be another child with Down syndrome in the neighborhood! I mean really what are the chances of that? So as I got to know other neighbors and mentioned to one of them that my son had Down syndrome; she went on to tell me how another MILITARY family here on our block also has a son with Ds. I honestly cannot even describe the feeling I got inside as I took in what she just said.

It took me a few days to build up the courage, but one night on our evening walk around the neighborhood, I knocked on their door. And out comes the little guy….. He is so cute! His face was bright yellow from sniffing flowers in the yard and he was so happy. I was holding Baby J in a backpack, so I took him out and turned him towards her and said I would love for you to meet my little guy. He has an extra chromosome too. It was almost an instant bond between the two of us. I didn’t know if we would ever end the conversation. I was so excited to have a friend in the neighborhood that gets” it”……..Not to mention a friend for Baby J to grow up with!

The next day her husband stopped by to introduce himself as well and we talked for a while. He is thrilled to have someone else in the neighborhood that is not only military, but has a family life that relates to theirs. We are hoping for some sunshine so we can invite them over for a BBQ and fire.

I wish I could fit everything I want to share into this one post but I know I should leave some for another time. Maybe the stories about how we all of a sudden owe the Army a ridiculous amount of money because they have been overpaying us for 20 months and we had no idea... What a Welcome Home preset, huh?






The girls reaction on this lovely day was absolutely priceless! They were beyond excited. Maddalyn sang Happy Birthday more times than I can count while waiting for her Daddy. It wasn't really his Birthday but she didn't care.


Portlynn was instantly a shawdow to her Daddy... She had a grin on her face the rest of the day. I think its still on there too... Probably even in her sleep!


Our Family is complete... FINALLY



What a day it was for these kiddos


My best friend and I.....

2 comments:

  1. awww...love the updates tara!!!!! so awesome that you live close to someone who understands what you're going through :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the updates! I wish you guys all the happiness in the world, I'm so glad that your husband is home, and you're happy in your new home! Miss you lots!!
    -Laurie

    ReplyDelete