Jarod James

Jarod James

Thursday, March 3, 2011

A visit to Great-Grandma's place

\




My grandma has been there since the day I was born. We have laughed together, cried together, argued, but in the end I was very close to her. She now lives in an assisted living home and has Alzheimer's... Sometimes she remembers me and other times I'm her sister. It isn't always easy to go visit her because every visit she cries except one. One I will never forget....
The first time she met JJ....

She told him how much she loves him

She was singing to him

She thought he was the most beautiful baby boy ever

She was looking around to see if there was anyone there that she could show him off to.

She even smiled for the picture!
Crazy thing is I've taken the girls to see her many times and she LOVES them so much but she still cries every visit. Something about this visit was just different. She was so happy! She has no idea that he has Down syndrome and it was great to see her look at him and love him unconditionally without analyzing his characteristics. She just saw him as a sweet little baby and nothing else.

I'll have to track down the pictures of her and the girls. They were taken on someone else's camera.

1 comment:

  1. What a great post! So sweet. You are a great grand-daughter. It must be very difficult for you but it seems like you can see the positives as well.

    ReplyDelete